PROTECTA PANJIM PHOTO WALK
at St Tome Ward & Fontainhas
The recently concluded 2nd Goa Photography Festival organized by the Goan Shutterbugs, with the theme “Preserve & Protect the Heritage of Goa through Photographs, held a very exciting “Photo Walk” on 7th September which started from the Patto Pedestrian Bridge at 9am, conducted under the guidance of promoter of Hands-On-Historians forum Sanjeev Sardesai. The amateur as well as professional photographers and many other interested in adventure were accompanied to areas of the St. Tome Ward of Panjim as well as the heritage precinct of Fontainhas.
The 35 participating photography lovers were delighted to be introduced to the historic and age old Panjim end of Ponte de Linhares or the Ribandar Causeway built at the same time the Taj Mahal was constructed in 1632-34; further they were accosted with the Casa da Moeda, which was the coin currency Mint of Portuguese from 1834 for a short period. It was here that they saw the tree “wild Almonds” which was grown in front of Churches in Goa. The bust of Dr. Minguel C Dias, the first Goan Dean of Goa Medical College was also seen. The St Tome Chapel, dedicated to the Patron Saint of Masons was also photographed. All these locations were situated in the Tobacco Square.
The walk took the participants along the Luis de Menezes Road up to the Corte de Oiteiro, – a futuristic decision by a Portuguese Governor General, of cutting a hillock, by shifting an existing cemetery, to connect two parts of Panaji City and accommodate its expansion. The walk then proceeded along the Dr. Ramchandra Naik Road and Rua de Natal to observe some aesthetic residential houses and their facets. Here they saw the St. Sebastian Chapel, which houses the Cross of the Inquisition.
Having taken the narrow lanes near here, the group reached Rua Conde de Redondo lane, where is located a house historically important to have been part of the Pinto’s Revolt. They also came across “Poco de Rego” (a well) and a tap with Portuguese manufacturers mark. Also another tap fixture showed English make.
Having covered a distance of approximately 1 km, the group then proceeded via the People’s High School and saw the location where the Sri Mahalaxmi idol was brought from Mayem and first landed in around 1818.
The tired group of participants stopped for refreshments served by the association and then parted ways at 12.30, happy with the knowledge about the Heritage of Panjim. They got an opportunity to see and photograph the vivid Goan coloured houses and the various type of doors, windows and other amazing factors of construction during the Portuguese era.
A special photo contest was announced during the photo walk and the participants were invited to post their photos on the photo walk page. The prizes were sponsored by Protecta Bags and Better Photography magazine.